After four days off, I was finally ready to get back in the sim this morning. Arrived at the school at 12:00 for my first session. The first was only going to be two hours, instead of the usual three.
We started off with the checklist, calling Malaga for start and clearance. We were allocated with the VIBAS 1A “Standard Instrument departure” from Malaga, which would bring us to the Granada Radio Aid, to which we can start our sim work.
In the cruise we had an alternator problem, so we had to do some load shedding and turn off the left alternator as it was overloading. The first being an ILS approach into Granada, on the turn inbound, the glideslope had failed, so straight away swapped plates for a localiser-only approach. Once briefed, we started the procedure.
Went down to minimums and did a go around. On the go around we had a right engine overspeed, so I quickly reduced the rpm to within limits. Not long after I had a left engine failure and because we were so low and needed to climb, I feathered the prop, cleaned up and got climbing.
We got vectors back for the VOR approach. So this was the difficult part, I had a wind from the left, my left engine out. So any increase in power, would mean a yaw to the left, followed by the wind trying to weathercock us into it.
Once established on the inbound radial, I passed the Final Approach Fix, soon after I selected flaps 10 degrees. As this was assymetric I decided to leave the flaps and gear until the last minute. So, the flaps didnt work. Not long after that, I extended the landing gear. Again, no greens. Time for a manual gear extension.
These things seem pretty easy when completed on their own, such as a flap failure or gear failure. Couple all these things together, along with a non-precision approach makes life very difficult. My brain was pretty much mush after I finished.
If there was a camera in the cockpit, It would have looked something like this:
Anyway, after a quick walk on the beach, I’m almost ready for Part 2!